-----Original Message-----
From: dia-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:dia-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Lars Ræder Clausen
Sent: 04 February 2009 14:36
To: discussions about usage and development of dia
Subject: Re: Dia on Windows (0.96.1) old build. Issues may be fixed ?

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 14:03 +0000, Kerry, Richard wrote:

I've recently installed Dia, having seen a diagram in the Bugzilla
documentation similar to what I wanted to do.
I seem to have found a handful of problems, some of them are issues
where the help-file doesn't appear to be correct.  I don't know
whether I'm misunderstanding something or the help is not
the correct
build for the program.

1.
I'd like to change a drawing from compressed to
uncompressed XML.  The
default is compressed but I want to version control my document so
prefer it to be uncompressed xml.  I needed to do this by
saving with
a new name, renaming, deleting to get this to happen.  Should I have
been able to do this just by clearing the "Compress saved files"
option and resaving ?

Yes.

2.
Right-click on the canvas.  Nothing happens.  The manual
says do this
to get Select Connected/Transitive Objects menu to appear but it
doesn't.  That's only available from the Select menu.

The manual is old enough that it doesn't know about the
current default
style of menus, only the older Gimp-style menus.  You can
toggle between
these in the preferences.

3.
When I open existing diagram file, I prefer canvas to be
same size it
was for last edit, .

That is not yet stored in the save file, though there's a
suggestion up
for it.  Also other edit-relevant settings (zoom level, position in
diagram etc) should be stored there.

3a.  Subsidiary windows (layers, diagram tree) open very small first
time.  Though on a subsequent run they do pick up the size they were
before.

They probably open with the minimum size that fits their
(few) elements.

4.
Can't change a line to a PolyLine.  I've drawn my diagram
with Lines.
On occasions I've found that I want to route one around
another item.
In this case I've needed to create a new PolyLine for this.
 Would it
be possible to remove the distinction, at least internally,
and allow
corners to be added to Lines.

The thought has definitely crossed my mind, several times
even. Problem
is that the Line object has a few extra features that would have to be
implemented on the PolyLine as well. Could be fun to integrate the
ZigZagLine, but that's more tricky.

5.
Editing Text.  The Delete key deletes the object not the
character and
is thus different from most other Windows programs.  Also ctrl+arrow
doesn't jump by word.  I've seen an entry in the Archives indicating
that some change have recently been done in this area and also a
discussion about a new Installer build, the first since 2007;
hopefully this will come soon.

This is fixed in the 0.97 release, which Hans and compatriots are hard
at work at polishing off.

6.
Can I render to png (say) from the command line ?  Yes I can.
Actually the Help files say nothing specifically about the command
line except for a handful of references in passing.  I have
found that
dia --help has a bit more to say but it should be in the manual
somewhere.  And not even -?, --help was mentioned in the current
manual.

That would be great to have added to the manual.  Could you do that?

7.
From a plain install I always get a Warning dialog at startup -
"Several object types were named Cisco - CDDI-FDDI" etc.
Surely this
shouldn't be giving warnings without my having done anything ?

Fixed in 0.97.

8.
The File menu on a canvas includes Open but doesn't include recently
used items but the one on the toolbox does.

That is... kinda inconsistent.

I suspect several of these are due to the very old Windows
build so I
hope a new build will be available soon.
Apologies if all these have been addressed recently - I look forward
to trying a new build but if there isn't one soon I may move to a
different package.

Yeah, it's been taking quite a while to get the new one out. I hope a
beta release comes along soon.

-Lars