Re: API

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Hans Breuer wrote:

At 23.09.2008 18:41, Michael Hennebry wrote:
I gather that dia has an API,
Yes. See the sources: http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/dia/trunk/
that is a mechanism
for producing diagrams from a user-written program,
Sorry, I don't follow your conclusion. Dia *is* a program to produce
diagrams. It can be extended with plug-ins written in C or Python.

I thought that the engine could be used
by something other than the GUI.
E.g., if I wanted a dia-gram of the ruler
function or to space boxes with a formula,
I could write a program that would use the engine.
Though diagrams are to look at, eyeballs and mice
aren't always the best way to generate them.

Another extension mechanism are shapes, see:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/dia/trunk/doc/custom-shapes?view=markup

but I haven't found any documentation on it.
If there is, where is it documented?

Depends on what you are looking for.