Re: API

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 17:48 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Hans Breuer wrote:

At 23.09.2008 22:09, Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Hans Breuer wrote:

I could write a program that would use the engine.
I think you should start looking at the sources. I'm afaid you are
imagining a lot of things into Dia which simply is not there.

I had seen references to the "dia API",
but without enough context to be sure what it meant.

Yes. But this is quite out of scope for what Dia is meant to be.
You may want to look at projects like http://www.graphviz.org/

Thank you for the suggestion.

Sounds like you are talking about an API for generating .dia files.
Since .dia files are (optionally gzipped) XML files, there is no
code-based API as such. A number of programs generate .dia files, see
the page <URL:http://live.gnome.org/Dia/Links> under "Tools that
generate Dia diagrams" for some examples.  Any XML generator will work,
and there are DTDs available in the doc directory of the source.

-Lars