Re: Dia as an ECAD

klar.

I do know about gEDA, kicad and Eagle.

But:
gEDA is a mix of different separated groups of developers with no congruence in designs of schematics and PCBs, is Ulgy, hard to use, and not portable, and simulation is pretty much null, has no autodownload of new devices, etc.etc., there is no reason to use it for production.
AND Too few components.

Kicad, is QT with mostly the same fallences as gEDA.

Eagle is the most usable openone, with NO simulation, tons of clics per action and making a real pain in the ass, easy to make components but a short list of availables making you to have to make all you components, is not open, and the free version as limitations.

Proteus VSM: Comercial, Windows Only, Excelent simulation, Really easy to use schematic and PCB designer, long list of available devices, HARD to make new devices, no autodownload of a common place for 3rd made devices, and mostly not compatible with other tools.

What i want to make some day:

A clone of Proteus.
Schematics editor with integrated simulation and as easy to use and good looking as proteus.
PCB editor, with an open autorouting algoritm, componnents and paths are fetched from the achematics editor so both program are deeply connected.
A device editor.
A common infrastructure for open distributable devices.
Each device should have more than one pcb packages without requiring to delete and reinsert the component, and simulables.
Exporting animated simulation feature to a flash-like program for easy webattaching and teaching over internet without using ugly java.

Why do you think that it will be a lot of work to adapt DIA? Isnt it a single widget handling brushes?

Cheers.
Diego

2008/5/27 Steve Brown <sbrown7 umbc edu>:
On Tue, 27 May 2008, Diego Jacobi wrote:

> Hallo.
>
> I am an Electronic Engineering student and i would like to start some day a
> good, open and portable Electronic CAD with GTK.

You might want to check out the gEDA project:  http://geda.seul.org/

Steve Brown
sbrown7 umbc edu