Keyboard Navigation

I have to implement some features in dia as the practical part of my bachelor thesis. Most probably it will be keyboard support for navigating and editing diagrams. The navigation should be smart, following the connections. I wanted to ask where should I start? can this be developed as a plugin? if yes, where can I learn how to develop plugins for dia? if not then where to start with the core?

Thank You

--
Andrew M. Botros

andrew botros gmail com (GoogleTalk)
mofied_andrew hotmail com (MSNMessenger)
mofied_andrew yahoo com (YahooMessenger)