Re: stymied

On Jun 4, 2008, at 6:30 AM, James McDonald wrote:

roger stein wrote:
Hi folks:
   After a little struggle (never having used any diagram-creating
software before) I figured out how to manipulate the lines, and
thought, "Okay, everything should proceed smoothly from here."  The
fact that I'm writing indicates otherwise. My purpose in creating the
diagram was to include it in a document; I use Jarte as my
word-processor.  But despite trying everything, I couldn't transport
my completed diagram to Jarte.  I have Windows XP, and I believe if I
could get the dia file into My Pictures then it would be fine.  But
after exploring every possibility that I could think of, I couldn't
get it into My Pictures. Desperate, I even printed it out, scanned it into my computer, got it as an Adobe file, copied the Adobe and pasted
it into a new Jarte document--yes, it appeared there, but it was
unacceptable because the small diagram was surrounded by a lot of
empty space with an invisible pit bull with ferocious territorial
instincts guarding it..  I simply couldn't get inside those borders.
In any case, this would have been an obviously unsatisfactory
solution even if I had gotten it to work.  I looked through your
manual but didn't see anything clearly applicable. I'd be deliriously
happy and grateful for any help you can provide.

Cordially,

With your dia diagram open in dia Click file --> Export. Save the
diagram as a jpeg and then open it and copy and paste it into your document.

For nicer results, export as PNG if Jarte supports it. For even nicer support, you can export as WMF, though the size of WMFs have been known to be a little off in Word - nothing that couldn't be adjusted away, but no knowing what Jarte can do about it.

-Lars