Re: The process of making custom shapes

Dia's custom shapes support a subset of SVG, so not everything that inkscape can do can be rendered by dia. However, with a little care you can use inkscape to author .svg file that can be turned into .shape files.

For the company I work, for I have written a small script that will convert a directory of .svg files into a set of shapes with accompanying sheet. It's a bit rudimentary and may not work in all cases. If you are interested I can ask if it can be shared with this mailing list.

cheers,

Marcel

PS

One problem that you will encounter using this path, unfortunately, will be the authoring and placement of the connection points. For this I use a "special" marker object in the SVG that can be easily duplicated and authored by inkscape as well (although the marker has to be copied from an existing template, it's not easily possible to create it from scratch). But hopefully more on this later.