Compile questions

My old IBM Linux distro included Dia. However, I've built a new PC, and apparently they don't include it any longer...quite sad. So, I'm trying to compile it and finding a few issues. The first two I've overcome, but now I have:

checking for PANGOVERSION... configure: error: Need Pango version 1.1.5 or higher

rpm -qa | grep pango
pango-1.14.9-3.el5

1.14.9 seems higher than 1.1.5

Pango is in /usr/lib. which seems a reasonable place to look. I've been hunting on the web, and though this is a recurring issue, I haven't found the solution. So what's it missing?

Thanks-

Jim Clark
SDS: K0QA
Lenexa, Kansas