The STC Chapter Technical Communications Competitions, Washington DC

Hi everyone, I have an announcement.

Besides being a Dia user, I'm also a technical writer. As such, I'm also a member of the Society for Technical Communication (STC), a nonprofit organization. I belong to their Washington, DC Chapter.

It just so happens that the DC Chapter of the STC is looking for submissions to their annual Technical Communications Competitions. Actually, there are three competitions in all:

                        Online Communication

                        Technical Art

                        Technical Publications

For each competition there are a number of categories in which you can enter your work (more than one if you wish). For the Technical Publications Competition, there are 18 categories. They range from Software Guides to Computer Hardware Guides to Promotional Materials. As you can see, for Dia users, a lot of this is right up our alley as long as the entry is technical in nature.

There are three levels of awards in each category:

                        Distinguished Technical Communication (DTC)

                        Excellence

                        Merit

In addition, one DTC winner in each competition wins Best Of Show.

So, there are many chances to win. Also, you don't have to be a member of STC or its DC chapter to enter. In fact, you don't even have to live in the US. The chapter frequently receives entries from other countries. The main deal is that they must be written in English.

In any case, if you think you have a guide, manual, or other documentation you think is award quality, think about submitting it. You'll get to see what others are doing and receive valuable feedback from our expert judges. You could say that this your chance to grab your fifteen minutes of fame, and have something to brag about back at the office.

Entries to the STC Washington, DC Chapter Technical Communications Competitions must be submitted on or before 16 October 2007. For more details, go to the link below

                        http://www.stcwdc.org/compete.shtml

P.S.

All entrants and those interested in seeing the winning entries are invited to an awards banquet on 9 February 2008 in Washington, DC. The banquet  will be held at the historic DACOR-Bacon house - a beautiful example of Federalist architecture. The house is outfitted in authentic furnishings of the period when it served  as hearth and home to some of the notables of US jurisprudence and politics.

(see photos here:    http://www.dacorbacon.org/DACOR/DACOR_MAIN.htm)

See you there,

Terry Reece