RE: Metapost - text alignment

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 09:36 +1030, Young, Robert wrote:
If we had a LaTex render, it would be a different story. No one has the
time to do one before 0.96 comes out. So my patch was aiming for
something that would work in most instances. Using text_line blows up on
equations, where as my proposed patch at least leaves the
right/centre/left alignment correct, and gets the odd text width wrong
(but within a couple of percent for sans, serif and monospace). I am
very keen to receive examples of where it doesn't work so that I can
improve it.

Your patch blows up on regular text with underscores, like
samples/render-test.dia.  They and other TeX special characters will
have to be escaped if this is to be usable on common text.  So we face
(again) the decision of whether formulas or text is the most common
output that we should make sure to handle properly, and the other kind
of output will require manual intervention.

Maybe we can for now have it by default escaped and leave the unescaped
version in there as a comment so that replacing that will be easy?

-Lars