Re: Rotating 45?/90?

Joachim has a point here:

> I know this reason already, my older question is still somewhere in the
> DIA list I suppose. Would modifying (hacking ?) the
> Obiject-to-be-rotated to be it's turned representative work? Do not
> store the object rotation, store the rotated object and the renderer
> doesn't have to be changed (I know, supposed-to-be-ugly style).
> 45 is probably impossible without side effects since doing 8*45 turn
> doesn't mean we are back at the way the original object was (rounding
> problem), but 4*90 gives you back the original. And IF turning, don't
> forget the connector points the lines go to, I tend to give all holes of
> a networkswitch it's own connector point when doing my own objects.

I will try and use an example to explain what I think he means.

If we take a shape called SHAPE1. On rotation we create a new shape, SHAPE1_45. Where 45 is always clockwise.

If Dia looks for SHAPE1_45 but cant find it, it dynamically creates a 45 degree rotation of the known shape, SHAPE1 and calls it SHAPE_45

On export, the already transformed shape, SHAPE1_45 is exported and the filter need not even know of the rotation. So only the function dishing out the shapes is aware of rotation.

As an added advantage, any rotated shape can be created from the base shape and then rounding artifacts would be eliminated.

With this kind of implementation the only shape (line bezier etc) that will need special coding is probably text.

Regards,
Johann