Re: Resizable TextEntry or TextView

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 22:25 +0300, Nikolaos Kazepis wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to develop some sort of a simplified flowchart editor with
too few options to be used for educational purposes. I have come to
the point where i must create the user interface so i need to do some
drawing on the screen.

For the time beeing im trying to build a simple window with a text box
surrounded by a black rectangle. I want the text box and the rectangle
to expand/shrink to fit the text as the user types in/erases text.

After reading GTK and GDK reference pages and GTK tutorial i thought
i'd use a TextEntry or even better a TextView(multiline) but in vain.
I did't manage to make it resizable and i didn't manage to even paint
the black rectangle around it let alone resizing(the rectangle). So i
thought i'd must be doing something wrong. Any help would be very
appreciated. For example any advice like: "consider using a
DrawingArea" or try to use this container to layout your widgets, or
this is how you can eventually draw a line on a window(? it does
implement drawable doesn't it?).

Sorry for the belated answer, I hope it is still of some use.

Dia uses a specialized widget (DiaCanvas) where we write into an
off-canvas array and copy the array into the canvas as an update.  This
may not be the easiest way to go for you, though.  Consider looking at
the stand-alone DiaCanvas2 found on diacanvas.sourceforge.net.

Since you're saying this if for educational purposes, you may be
interested in BlueJ (http://www.bluej.org/), which is a simple UML
editor mean for education.

-Lars

--