Re: Icons

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Corey Burger wrote:

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:26:17 -0700
From: Corey Burger <corey burger gmail com>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Icons

Hello all,

After loading the Gimp, inkscape and dia, I was saddened to see that
the dia ones are, to be honest, kind of ugly.

That is not a particularly helpful or constructive way of putting it.

There is already bugzilla report [1] addressing this issue, and steps are
being taken to switch to an icon set more in line with the rest of Gnome.
Last I checked there were a few details that needed more work but this is
something I expect will be taken care of before the next release (if it is
not already in CVS).

My thought was to start a dialog with the gimp and inkscape people to
stanardise on one set of nice icons, common across the 3 applications.

It is not that simple.  Many of the tools are slightly different and a
direct mapping is not entirely appropriate.

The GIMP developers do make serious efforts to follow standards like the
Freedesktop.org theming standards.
Inkscape needs a lot more work in that area before it has the
infrastructure to fully support icon themes.

If that doesn't happen, at least lets "acqure" the nice inkscape and
gimp ones for dia.

Please read the bug report.  I'm glad you are volunteering to help but
like with most things the problem is more complicated than it looks.

- Alan H.

[1] http://bugzilla.gnome.org