Re: another theory

some minutes ago I observed the bahaviour on drawing text with gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable_alpha() in diagdkrenderer.c:draw_string(). Supporting that, I used a fix alpha threshold in 'pixels[i*stride+j*4+3] = graybitmap[i*rowstride+j];', i.e. 128. And what I explored is, that in the situations the font is drawn ugly, now the intensity of the color incresed. So ... there are some regions are still drawn and are overdrawn by this method. The transparency then causes the uglyness and egdy font.

So the problem is actually a problem with uninvalidated, still present regions in renderer->pixmap which have to be cleared, before redrawing the text again. The update-area logic doesn't pay attention on this.

regards, Stefan Bolus

Tom Kast wrote:

i believe that changing 2.0 to 0.1 in ddisplay_add_update_pixels()
fixes the right-click error conditions that we have defined thus far. hats off to you -- thanks!

...on to your second error condition, "creepy on movement"...
i have tried to reproduce it (with size_x/0.1) and i have not been
able to.  any more detail?

if i understand correctly, "creepy on movement" refers to:
Now try this ... . Drag the third object slowly from the bottom of one of the other objects to it's top. Even
if the third object is actually behind the other objects the font is badly redrawn. Seems like there's a bad
offset anywhere.

tk