Re: dia - python - UML

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 15:04, Luca Manini wrote:
Hi,

new to the list so ... hi to everybody.

I'm using Dia (since a couple of days) to make UML diagrams "of Python
code".  I do not know UML well and I do not like it too much either,
but it always useful to have some Dia/gram and Dia is quite nice.

I do prefere to write Python code by hand (ok, Emacs) and get some UML
for free. I've found that happy-doc can produce Dia diagrams from
Python code (nothing elaborated as I can tell, but enough for me).

The problem is of course that the code changes ;-)

My idea is to produce the class "boxes" (with attributes and methods)
automagically from code (happy-doc), "import" them in another Diagram
(XML massaging) where I can, by hand, put them in the right place
(coordinates) and decorate them with connection and any other missing
info.  Then, when the code changes (some new classes, some new/changed
method), regenerate the "automagic" diagram and reimport it.  Some
things will be broken, but much of the previous work should be still
there.

Has anybody tried something like that, either the goal (or the
solution!) or the approach.

I don't know that anybody has done the regeneration thing, but autodia
does generate diagrams for a number of languages.

-Lars