Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:08:55 -0800
From: Barry Kauler <void dodo com au>
To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
Subject: Re: Problem reducing size for my Puppy Linux distro

Alan,
Thanks for responding.
I did manage to cut Dia down somewhat, and Dia is in the latest
Puppy Linux, version 0.9.6.
You might like to forward this message to the Dia mail list, as
probably others would be interested to know of Dia running happily
in a 50M distro.

Note, although some stuff was removed, it could be added back in
after Puppy is installed -- I haven't investigated that.

<snip>rest of message removed</snip>

I noticed at the bottom of your email, a link to Inkscape.
Puppy has Sodipodi. I considered Inkscape, but chose Sodipodi
purely on the basis of size... Sodipodi is 1M, whereas Inkscape
is about 2.4M plus the libsigc++ library.

I recall on the Dia site there was a mention that there is a plan
to do font rotation one day. I have been playing with Impress, a
Tcl/Tk presentation program, like Powerpoint. Tk cannot rotate
text either, but the author has hacked a program called "font3d"
that vectorises TrueType text and can then do things with it,
including rotation.
It's a small app., maybe worth considering for use with Dia.

Puppy site:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/

Puppy is now #32 on distrowatch.com, and rising.

Regards,
Barry Kauler

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:37:04 +0000 (GMT)