Re: formatting of the Changelog subject line [Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Sat Jul 17 07:23:01 2004 (UTC)]

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:03:16 +0200
From: Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille chepelov org>
To: discussions about usage and development of dia <dia-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: formatting of the Changelog subject line [Re: Dia ChangeLog
    report for Sat Jul 17 07:23:01 2004 (UTC)]

Le Tue, Jul 20, 2004, à 08:10:55PM +0100, Alan Horkan a écrit:

Would it be possible to change the Subject line of the changelog so that
instead of
  Dia ChangeLog report for Sat Jul 17 07:23:01 2004 (UTC)
it was more like
  Dia ChangeLog report for 2004 07 17  07:23:01  (UTC)

so that when sorted by Subject the changelog would also be sorted by Date
with no extra effort.

Hmm. Right now it's an RFC-822 string, which has its own advantages...

I had a read of the RFC
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html

specifically the date section, 5.1

    5.  DATE AND TIME SPECIFICATION

     5.1.  SYNTAX

     date-time   =  [ day "," ] date time        ; dd mm yy
                                                 ;  hh:mm:ss zzz

by that basis the date, inlcuding the year would precede the time which
seems quite unlike the current format of the subjectline
(specifically dd mm yy hh:mm:ss zzz, whereas the current subject line has
the year after the time).

i guess this part of the RFC must not be a hard requirement

If it is possible and not too difficult I'd appreciate it if you were
willing to make the change and it would encourage me to read back through
the change logs more often.

I can certainly make the change (maybe it's a little bit too late for
today's run), that's a trivial thing to do indeed. However, there's also
a "Date:" field meant for sorting... I'm not sure what you request is
the best thing to do with respect to readability.

You can sort by Date and by Subject but if you format the date string
correctly then when you format by Subject it will always also be sorted by
date at no extra cost.

If you prefer to use a more readable date string like '2004 Jul 17' that
would be fine too.

Thanks

Alan