Re: Prerelease of 0.94 is out

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 11:45, Hans Breuer wrote:
At 22:50 09.07.04, Lars Clausen wrote:
Trying hard to decrease the time between releases, I have now put out
0.94-pre1 at http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/dia/.

Major new features include highlighting of objects when dragging
connectors onto connection points, 5 new shape sets, connection possible
between layers, hexagonal grid, Cairo renderer,

WMF writer for Unix,
sorry, but that's only part of the story :

2004-05-24  Hans Breuer  <hans breuer org>

         * plug-ins/wmf/Makefile.am : finally compile the wmf plug-in
         under *NIX, too. [If you want something done, do it yourself ;-]
         * plug-ins/wmf/wmf_gdi.[hc] : some more stuff to catch up
         with wmf.cpp's GDI usage
         * plug-ins/wmf/wmf.cpp : compile even without HAVE_WINDOWS_H,
         [For the moment it does not much more than compiling, i.e.
         the produced WMF files are invalid, if not created on windoze.]

Oh.  It is indeed not in the list.  Well, WMF lovers on Unix will just
have to wait.

a new combined persistence system.  There's also some other stuff plus
many polishings, bug fixes and leaks.

This release I'm trying with the release in a CVS branch, to not stop
development.  Which means that fixes need to be applied in both
branches, and translations should be copied over, too.  It'll be
interesting to see if the translations can move easily between branch
and trunk...

May I suggest a sligtly different approach ?
It goes as follows :
- declare a feature/string/deep freeze at the appropriate time for the trunk
   [IIRC feature freeze was about two weeks ago]
- for every (pre-)release just do a tag
- at least until release candidates all bugfixes go directly to the trunk
(if some new development really must be done during a freeze it can
easily go into a specific branch and be merged after the thawing HEAD.
Like it was e.g. done for the Gtk2 port ...)

That's what I did for 0.93, and I seem to remember you complaining about
why I did it that way rather than having a release branch.

-Lars