Re: Request: object snaps to lines

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 16:50, Kurt Newman wrote:
Right now you can snap objects to grids or lines to objects, but not the
other way around.  Would like to be able to move an object by a snap
point and it automatically connect to the end of a line.

I would find it useful since object sizes dynamically change when the
text amount/size increases.  When this happens, they may no longer
reside on grid lines, thus making it difficult to align the newly
created objects with the rest of your diagram.

So you'd want, say, a line that you can connect a number of objects to,
making sure they stay aligned?  As Steven mentions, there is object
align, but it's a bother to have to redo when you change stuff.  You
could also make the text center-aligned, and it will keep the center
aligned, but that's not always what you need.

There's a problem in allowing both objects and lines to snap to each
other, namely that you can't tell when to move them together and when to
split the connection.  I tried having a connection point at the end of a
line, caused them to be impossible to disconnect.  That might be
fixable, but I'm not sure it's worth the changes required.

-Lars