RE: Another feature request (CVS integration)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Ribeiro, Glauber wrote:

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:22:30 -0500 From: "Ribeiro, Glauber"
<Glauber Ribeiro experian com> Reply-To: dia-list gnome org To:
dia-list gnome org Subject: RE: Another feature request (CVS
integration)

This may not be very easy to do. To integrate well with CVS, you
probably want to save your diagrams uncompressed and also "pretty
printed" or at least with line breaks, to maximize CVS' ability to
handle it (CVS tracks changes by line).

-----Original Message----- From: dia-list-admin gnome org
[mailto:dia-list-admin gnome org]On Behalf Of lucc Sent: Tuesday, April
13, 2004 12:19 To: dia-list gnome org Subject: Another feature request

Hi,

    Following in the thread 'easy to implement' features, another
feature that would be very useful is an integration between dia and a
versioning tool like CVS. I've been thinking of a menu item "Commit" or
something like that. It would also be nice if the current version would
be shown somewhere in the diagram window, perhaps in the window title.

This has been suggested a few times before but I dont think there is a
report in Bugzilla.  I believe people have put together their own
solutions but not anything integrated with Dia.
XML aware diff tools do exist.  If I recall correctly using normal diff
tools also works but not very well.

Dia files are all pretty printed (for a while compressed files were not
pretty printed but I think they are now*).

Rather than getting Dia to work with just CVS specifically it might be
better to look into something more genearlised like Gnome-VFS support**
(or
something) and try to get WebDAV (and more) to improve your support for
workflow management.

It would probably be a good ideo to gather some links from the mailing
list archives on this topic and maybe put them on the web page or Wiki.
I dont have time to do it right now but I might later.

If someone had the time and interest to develop this idea I'm sure patches
would be gratefully accepted.  Otherwise it would probably be a good idea
to file a request in Bugzilla, http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Sincerely

- Alan H

* nope sorry, haven't checked to see what support Dia may or may not have
for Gnome-VFS
** nope sorry, dont have a copy of Dia on this machine so I didn't check
it

Sorry, but I hope a prompt reply that lets you find out more for yourself
if you are in a hurry is better than saying nothing and responding with a
more detailed reply much later.