Re: Logic Gates in SVG format for Dia

Hi,

First of all, I have created a new site where I have put all my shapes:
http://mapage.noos.fr/chevrot

This page contains screen shots and download files. The contents of this
web page is a copy/past of my previous mails.

Lars Clausen Responses
----------------------
if you want to be incredibly cool provide the necessary makefiles so
that we can commit these files!

So, because I am an incredibly cool man, I provide the necessary
makefiles so that you can commit these files ;)

Cool (incredibly so:).  Alan, did you take a look at the shapes
themselves?
I can almost guarantee that I won't be able to look at it this side of
Christmas, what with my thesis about to be finished.  If any other of
the CVS-enabled people look at the Makefile stuff, too, I won't complain
(hint, hint:)

I didn't attain to fetch the cvs version of dia (version 0.92.2).
Apparently, no anonymous account exists. If one exists, I would be
glad  to know  it.

It's at :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org/cvs/gnome project dia,
empty password.

I will make the makefile changes for the 0.92.2 during the days to come.

Alan Horkan Responses
---------------------
        First mail:  Wed, 19 Nov 2003
        -----------------------------

Sorry that no one responded, I assumed someone else would.  Nothing
personal, I think we all just assumed some one else would respond, we
are usually much more friendly.

Don't worry. I am the first to take a little time to respond to all my
mails.

Other ways to submit patches would be to attach them to bugzilla bug
reports and or put them on a website somewhere and mail the link.

Like I have said above, this is done.

        Second mail: Sun, 23 Nov 2003
        -----------------------------

there should be a place where users can post their new shapes.
In case such place exists and i couldn't find it, please someone
send me the link.
Which reminds me, someone else created new shapes and I promised I'd
look at them already.
That was me ;) And you have kept your promises.

        Third mail: Mon, 24 Nov 2003
        ----------------------------

I finally looked at your shapes and I have time to give some feedback

Perfect !

Nice work but ...
(and these are not really your fault)

there is a lot of redundancy in your sheet it makes it blindingly
obvious that being able to rotate shapes at least through simple 90
degree rotations is essential.
Dia has a feature to Flip shapes vertically and horizontally but it is
hidden away in the context menu and needs to be promoted to the Object
menu (even if it currenly only works for SVG based shapes, it doesn't
belong in the context menu).  I assume you were unaware of it and that
is why you created shapes for 4 directions rather than just 2.

Quite frankly, I had been aware of that after the beginning but before the
end of my work. So because it remains few logic gates I have also
created the last gates in all positions.

But, don't worry, you can delete the redundant gates.

Now, I don't understand why this functionality is so hidden.
To see it, I must to click on the _middle_ button of my mouse ! I assume
that the menu which appears is what you call the Object menu.
I don't understand why this Object menu, in fact the flip functionality
because it is the only functionality of this menu, doesn't appear when we
do: Right Click->Object
So if the right button click is a reflex for everybody, the middle button
click is maybe a reflex for a few people but not for everybody !

It's true that you can also see this functionality when you double click
on the object. So with the 2 methods it's not so hidden.

all your shapes were transparent when you exported them which due to a
flaw in Dia means that users cannot change the colours of the shapes.
(there are a few ways to fix this but again Dia should just work
instead, I'll describe the workarounds later if you want)

I don't understand. I have no problem to change the color of my shapes.
I double click on it, a properties window appears, I change the Line
Color, and the color of my shapes is changed.
Can you explain more precisely the problem !

You drew some Arcs/Bridges and I vaguely recall that there was some
discussion to do this programmatically by enhancing the basic line to
allow a bridge to be added.  I dont know if any progress was made in
this direction.

Umm. Not sure to understand. More honestly sure to not understand ;)
If the problem comes from my code, don't hesitate to show me the code.

As someone who has made a few shapes myself I have a lot of respect for
all the time and effort you must have put into your shapes.
Thanks for getting involved.

Thanks for take a look on it.

--
  Cyril