Undo [Was: HIG and Escape]

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:

I've wondered just how much memory undo steps take.  It could be
interesting to turn the limit off and see what happens.  Emacs, for
instance, has infinite undo, and I have it running for months
sometimes without the undo stack overrunning the system.

There is something about how and when selections are lost on undo that
bothers me.  A very short undo history is quite annoying when you are
doing lost of small movements, colour/selection changes, i cant think
what operations in Dia would be particularly hard to undo (unlike some of
the advanced filters and special effects in the Gimp).

A little-known feature of Dia:  Setting the number of undo levels to zero
doesn't turn off undo, it gives infinite undo.  Next time you are to do
some Dia work, fire up top or equivalent to watch memory usage, set #undo
to 0, and work away.  It seems to take a lot of changes to show up in top
at all, so I'd like to hear numbers for longer-time work.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor