Re: sodipodi and dia

On 11 Jun 2003, Rajarshi Guha wrote:

Date: 11 Jun 2003 11:54:02 -0400
From: Rajarshi Guha <rajarshi presidency com>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: sodipodi and dia

Hi,
  I came across the program Sodipodi today and wondered what role it
plays compared to Dia?

Sodipodi is more complicated and is useful for creating a variety of
Vector Graphics.  Sodipodi would be aiming to replace software like Adobe
Illustrator.

Dia is primarily designed to draw Diagrams, originally UML diagrams.

Dia has a collection of predrawn shapes that make it easy to quickly put
together a nice diagram.

Although Dia does have a certain amount of built in functionality for
creating new Vector Graphics from scratch they are not as compicated as
the features in Sodipodi.  Dia would be aiming to replace software like
Microsoft Visio or Rational Rose.

You might also be interested to check out a program called Sketch
http://sketch.sourceforge.net/

Personally I find the Draw component of OpenOffice.org quite useful,
especially since I am going to need to install OpenOffice.org for other
reasons.  http://www.openoffice.org/

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/