status dxf svg formats

Hi,
I have looked everywhere trying to solve this. I found some old discussion re dxf format support being limited. When I open a dxf file (converted by Autocad) which is quite small ( a hydraulic symbol) it appears to be expanding the image 1000%. Same when I print. A3 format kills a whole forest, just for one lousy symbol.

The good news is that it faithfully renders the image apart from the size and I can now flip the symbols horizontally or vertically - which is all we need to be able to draw a hydraulic power unit. If the symbols were the correct size on the sheet and printed out the same I would be really happy. Ideally I should be able to save as 'dxf' and hand over to engineering who will then read the file into autocad 2000.

We are a Windows platform - which surprise surprise - most people who want to use this are.
I managed to compile Dia a few months ago - not without some pain.

If someone could point me in the right direction I will jump into the void again and attempt to fix this - Even better maybe it ain't broke anyway... it's just me.

Regards,

Bruce