Re: object parenting?

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003, Vadim Berezniker wrote:
Will it be possible in the future (or maybe even now) to parent an
object?

That is creating objects that are not children of the diagram, but
children of another object.

I was thinking that would help allow more specific uses of a certain
objects, while keeping everything relatively generic.

For example database modeling.
You could have a Database object, and then inside you could create
Table objects, View objects, etc. Since the other objects would be
children of the Database object, the Database object could iterate
over its children   (seems possible to do) and act based on that. Then
you could have a Database object that can produce SQL, create
databases automatically, etc without need for external tools.

It's definiely an interesting idea, and similar things have been mentioned
before:  An object thatyou can drop other objects into and open/close to
hide/display those other objects.

The Group "object" does that at the moment.  The reason I quote it is that
it's not really a full-grown object, but more of a hack -- there are IIRC
little special cases for it scattered around the code.  It also adds some
problems with iterating over objects -- e.g. should 'Select Same Type'
select objects inside other objects?

It's not something that I think would be easy rightnow -- there isn't that
kind of drag and drop support, for instance.  But it would be immensely
useful.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor