Re: Roadmap for 0.92

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:56:40 -0500
From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Roadmap for 0.92

It's time to look at getting 0.92 out (actually, more than time).  With
autorouting and parenting added, it'll be a worthwhile new version.  Here's
a list of things that I'd like to see done before we release:

Parenting:
 * Undo support -- very important!
 * Add menu items for parenting and unparenting single objects.

 * Consider the file format -- old versions of Dia can't see children.

I really should add the Dublin Core metadata to the file format, title,
author date etc and try and update the DTD.

it should be easy enough if i get off my ass and just do it

I would very much like to specify the version number in the file format.
I would like to also have the importer warn users that importing newer
documents into older versions of Dia will definately cause severe
dataloss.

 * Correctly handle objects created partly inside, partly outside a parent.

Autorouting:
 * Need undo to work -- very important!
 * Need direction indications on remaining objects (shapes in particular).
   Standard objects are done, and UML thanks to Krzysztof.

UI:
 * Need some indication on the left/right arrow icons that these are for
   selecting arrowheads.  I've had several bugreports of people who
   couldn't figure that out:(

dont do anything too complicated, longer term I think something radically
differnt would be far easier to use (i have a few ideas, not practical in
the 0.92 timeframe though).

There is a bug report filed suggesting that we should not have a Dialogs
menu, but I was stopped in my tracks by not having somewhere to put the
python console.  (sorry, i would normally provide a bug number but I am
short for time).
I still think that Layers would be much better as the last item of the
View menu and that Properties should be the first item of the Object menu.
(dont get me started on what a bad usability example the GIMP is...)

Other:
 * Apply remaining patches.

I think I can probably hackt together a working patch that would give a
menu item Edit-Duplicate, I know it would improve my efficiency in Dia.
Agian i just need to get off my ass and do it.

 * Get Win32 runtimes in order.

I would like to see the next version of Dia for windows built against a
shared GTK 2 if Hans and Steffen dont mind.  I would be surprised if users
of Dia on windows dont have any other GTK applications (the GIMP at
least).
For convenience though the Dia installer would probably still need to
bundle the GTK installer in case a user didn't already have it and only
install as necesary.

Being able to use GTK-WIMP with Dia would be even better.

 * Look at remaining important bugs.

Some things I'd like to consider for the next release:
 * Better text entry (using a GtkTextView)

Wohoo!  Tell me more (change the subject line and or start a new thread
please)

 * Object highlighting for user feedback.

 * More use of object menus, in particular for sheet-specific things.

not sure i like the sound of that, but I am not entirely sure what you
mean.

I think it would be really helpful if we had an "Add to Sheet" option, to
add an object (the current selection) to the current sheet.

At the moment users (that is to say me, myself and I) have to copy the
selection to a blank document and save as .shape and then open the sheets
and objects dialog, switch to the sheet you want and add the shape.

 * Conversion of remaining non-stdprops objects.

* Add more shapes

We currently have some very fine shapes and it would be a terrible shame
to ship another Dia release without them.  Top of my list are the
Cybernetic Circuits shapes.  I figure writing the makefile should be easy
enough - I just need to do it - but I dont relish the prospect of adding
in a zillion _ underscores _ so that various bits and pieces can be
localised.  As a selfish English speaker I would be very tempted not to be
bad and bother allowing localisation of those shapes until later.
A script of some kind to help automate the process of adding in the
underscores would be very very helpful.

Aside from adding more shapes there are not any issues of mine that should
hold back the release.  Most of my suggestions are niceties that could
wait but with a reasonablely clear targets and deadlines I will do my best
to put other distractions aside and get some of the stuff I want done,
done in time.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

PS Lars I have a few suggestions of work on Dia that might be of more
interest to businesses and leverage Dia's strengths.  Unfortunately these
kinds of things often require a business already be using Dia before they
wish to contribute to improving it.  Anyway please remind me offlist and
I'll bounce a few ideas off you.