[Fwd: [preview-latex-devel] dvipng-0.1 released]

Sorry if this is in bad form, but I don't know if others are following
preview-latex.

This might be useful for direct (La)TeX rendering in Dia, although it
introduces a new dependency.

--- Begin Message ---
I have made an initial release of dvipng.

This program makes PNG graphics from DVI files as obtained from TeX
and its relatives.

Benefits of dvipng

* Speed. It is the fastest bitmap-rendering code for DVI files that I
  know of. On my fairly low-end laptop, it takes less than a second to
  generate 150 one-formula images.

* It does not read the postamble, so it can be started before TeX
  finishes. There is a -follow switch that makes dvipng wait at EOF
  for further output, unless it finds the POST marker that indicates
  the end of the DVI.

* Supports PK and VF fonts. And color specials.

* and more...

It has been tested somewhat but could use more testing. Report any
bugs you find. I expect that most difficulties will be in building the
package, see README for instructions.