RE: Dialogs, Layers Dialog [Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Mon Jul 7 07:23:02 2003 (UTC)]

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, TAZ Vukovic, Mirko wrote:

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:21:56 -0500
From: "TAZ Vukovic, Mirko" <mvukovic taz telusa com>
To: "'dia-list gnome org'" <dia-list gnome org>
Subject: RE: Dialogs,
     Layers Dialog [Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Mon Jul   7 07:23:02 2003
    (UTC)]

I use layers to organize my diagrams and mainly control visibility of groups

presumably by moving whole layers up and down

of items.  I try to group related items in their own layer.  Layers help me

groups of groups ...

organize diagrams and thoughts.

The reason a bring this up at all is that I am particularly impressed at
how well another program I was looking at handles groups and selections.
I cant find another vector graphics based program that has layers.  I dont
understand them but I certainly could not justify anything drastic like
removing.  I am still not sure that they are necessarily the best way to
do things but real users give the best information.

My one wish is that snaps would be transparent across layers.  As an
example, in one application, I had a several objects in the ``base'' layer.
Over that layer I was drawing various diagrams (each on its own layer)
consisting mainly of arrows, pointing how the objects interacted under
various circumstances.  It would have been much easier if the arrows were
connected to the objects on the base layer, as from time to time, I had to
re-arrange those.

Sounds like a great idea and Lars has said what was needed.

(Usual disclaimer applies: thanks for the great work.  Hopefully one day I
get to contribute something).

Thanks I have only used the layers once or twice for a background image,
you have given me exactly the kind of real user feedback I wanted to hear.

Mirko

- Alan H.