Re: parenting (patch)

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003, Vadim Berezniker wrote:
Lars Clausen wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Vadim Berezniker wrote:
I've fixed those now.

The standard way to specify object specific behaviour is not to
recompile but define properties. See "autoroute" for a recently
added example. [ Search for "autoroute" in the dia sources. ]

I'll look into that shortly  ...

After thinking about this, I can move the children list / parent
capability attrbiute into individual objects.

As for the 'parent' pointer, should I even bother moving it out of the
Object struct? After all I cannot think of any object that cannot have
a parent. Since Object is the 'superclass', an attribute that applies
to all 'objects' should be inside it.

Should I leave the parent pointer inside Object or move it?

There is every reason to allow any object to be included in other objects.
That's the way you'd make subdiagrams.  So leave the pointer inside Object.
The children list would obviously only be for objects that can have
children (e.g. the package objects in UML).

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor