Re: dia 9.1-pre2 crash on startup

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Martin Hans wrote:
Hi, I just managed to compile dia 9.1-pre2 on my Mandrake 8.2 box (which
was not easy since upgrading pango required me to upgrade a lot of other
stuff including glibc, XFree86, tetex and gcc. This also meant my X was
broken and so is currently my CTRL-key and some of the fonts - today is
not a good day to upgrade from Mandrake 8.2 to the unstable cooker
version - I should have waited for 9.1). When rpm-hell was finally over,
dia compiled fine.

Sorry to bring this upon you, but I'm glad it worked out.

But then, when I start dia I get:

martin chachacha ~/builds/dia-0.91-pre2 $ app/run_dia.sh

** (lt-dia:31245): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Arial 10
app/run_dia.sh: line 18: 31245 Segmentation fault
/home/martin/builds/dia-0.91-pre2/app/dia $*
martin chachacha ~/builds/dia-0.91-pre2 $

It turns out the upgrading killed most of my true-type fonts including
Arial.  But I think dia should respond in a more sensible manner to
this. I am unable to find any ~/.dia or so which could specify the Arial
font so I have no clue where it gets this setting.

It's defined in lib/fonts.h, some old fonts are converted into Arial.
Unfortunately, a few objects specify Arial explicitly, that must change.
Thanks for the heads-up.

And, of course, we should something more intelligent about missing fonts.

I'll try to see if I can install those fonts again one of these days.

-Lars