Re: Using DIA for block simulation

On 22 Dec 2003, Bruno Barberi Gnecco wrote:
Hello,

      I'm writing a program that will simulate designs using blocks,
something in the lines of Matlab's Simulink or PSpice, but for a specific
purpose. As the simulator itself will require a lot of work, I was
wondering if I could somehow use Dia as a sort of GUI. I don't require
much of the GUI: in fact, all I want is a graphical tool to connect the
blocks. I'd then convert it to a format of my own and simulate it ---
pretty much what spice GUIs do.  Anyway, my question is: is it doable?
What I need is someway to create new blocks in the GUI. They need to have
input and output nodes (connection points), and the user must be able to
select the number and name of these nodes.

So you basically want something chip-like, yes?  Shouldn't be too hard, and
would be a nice addition.

For how to adjust the number of connection points, see Standard -- Line or
Network -- Ethernet Bus.  Several lines show how to place labels next to
points, it'll probably be even easier for a box-like thing.  You may want
to think a bit first about what would be the easiest way to add new
input/output nodes (I'd say a middle menu, but YMMV).

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor