Re: No, I speak English :P [Re: A chance to help]

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:03:56 +0200
From: Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille chepelov org>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: No, I speak English :P [Re: A chance to help]

Le Sat, Aug 22, 2003, � 03:03:48AM +0100, Alan Horkan a �crit:

Programming in American, even if the Gnu standard mandates it is simply a
bad idea.

It is not so much that I mind American English as I mind choosing an
Americanism when a Standard English phrase would be correct for both and
more widely understandable.

Americanisation like "Favorites" that you cannot get rid of, particularly
when better terminology is available (links, or shortcuts for example, I
may have a link to Microsoft.com but it sure as hell is not my favourite).

I was referring to Microsoft crappiness when I mentioned Favourites, and
although a chunk of open source software has chosen to copy this
abomination that have at least done so in a way which allows proper
localisation.

Also, I consider a system which runs on locale=C a horribly broken system, by
definition.

Why are you using en_GB, not en_IE as your locale? Don't they diverge at
least in the LC_CURRENCY ? :-)

Yes, true, I was over simplifying I do run en-IE and I am still annoyed
that RedHat fail to provide an Irish keyboard layout (alt gr + vowel
shoudl give an acute accent whereas on a British keyboard is does
nothing).

-- Alan