Re: Zoom.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:22:56 -0500
From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Zoom.

On 22 Aug 2003, Igor Hjelmstrom Vinhas Ribeiro wrote:
Hello!

I am using DIA to make large diagrams. Because of this, I must ask: why
the 400% limit in the zoom tool?

Lots of programs seem to go to 1600 %
dont know why that number in particular.

Some of the Zoom levels are quite odd, not round numbers that you might
expect.

We probably need to cut the Zoom Menu down to maybe 10 presets, including
a few "Zoom to fit Something" but also include Zoom... a dialog where
users can specify as precise an arbitrary Zoom Level as the code will
allow.

I am tempted to add Ctrl+0 as Zoom to 100 % to match Mozilla but I would
like to push the Gnome Human Interface Guidelines to adopt it as well.

Having the Home Key Zoom and Centre would probably be good too.

That's a completely arbitrary limit.  I didn't expect anybody to want to
zoom more than that often.  Ideally, I'd make it work like the fonts menu,
so that any time you enter a zoom value into the box, it goes into the menu
and is remembered.  If you compile Dia yourself, go to app/interface.c:232
and add some lines.  There's a hard (but also arbitrary) limit of 2500%
somewhere.  Besides, if you make large diagrams, don't you want to zoom out
rather than in?

PS: Great software. Simple, never crashes, good docs....  I really like
it.

Never crashes... good docs... are you sure we're talking about the same
program?

At least we know he is not using 0.88 thankfully, and he must be using
Unix too.

Any help you can provide making Dia more stable, or better documented or
featureful.  There are plenty of things in bugzilla that are relatively
easy but require more time or knowlege (in my case) than we have (if you
are interested I can probably help you find something suitable).

Just kidding, I like the state the 0.91 is in, and 0.92 will be even better.

I have always liked seeing Dia continuing to get better and better.

Sincerely
Alan Horkan.