Re: Roadmap for 0.92

On 1 Aug 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:

UI: * Need some indication on the left/right arrow icons that these
are for selecting arrowheads.  I've had several bugreports of people
who couldn't figure that out:(

dont do anything too complicated, longer term I think something
radically differnt would be far easier to use (i have a few ideas, not
practical in the 0.92 timeframe though).

I was thinking of having a vague outline of an arrow for the non-arrow
case.

Well I was thinking that the arrow ends should have some sort of an
active target area and that by clicking neat the end of an arrow you
could change the shape at the end of the arrow.  Trying to go for the
direct manipulation kind of idea.

Ooohh, that'd be nice.  Harder to do, but nice.  I was just thinking of the
widgets at the bottom of the toolbox.

I was also thinking that we might also be able to go for the more
conventional menu item/dialog approach, Visio, Smartdraw et al. have
something like Format Line Style.
I'll try and post screenshots of the behaviours I have seem

Are you saying we should split the properties dialog into smaller pieces.

There is a bug report filed suggesting that we should not have a
Dialogs menu, but I was stopped in my tracks by not having somewhere to
put the python console.  (sorry, i would normally provide a bug number
but I am short for time).  I still think that Layers would be much
better as the last item of the View menu and that Properties should be
the first item of the Object menu.  (dont get me started on what a bad
usability example the GIMP is...)

There is something to be said for redundancy.  Many programs now have
the

To be pedantic this is repitition not redundancy and the thing to be said
about it is that it is confusing and bad usability.  Not sure if the
Gnome HIG explictly recommends against duplicate menu items, I'll try and
find it this weekend hopefully.

Well, ok, it's no biggie.

If it's just a question of turning <name> into <_name> etc, then I can
send you a perl script to do that.

I think it nearly is that simple.

In that case:

perl -p -e
's/<name>/<_name>/;s!</name>!</_name>!;s/<description>/<_description>/;s!</description>!</_description>!;'
<foo.sheet >foo.sheet.in

Aside from adding more shapes there are not any issues of mine that
should hold back the release.  Most of my suggestions are niceties that
could wait but with a reasonablely clear targets and deadlines I will
do my best to put other distractions aside and get some of the stuff I
want done, done in time.

Why do you take a crack at Duplicate first, then start going through
       ^^ don't, of course:)

accumulated shapes?

-Lars

I should warn you that because of work and a certain beligerrant
Operating Systems Manufacturer refusing to allow me to instal the
software because they no longer provide support for my perfectly adequate
operating system that I have been forced to squander many hours upgrading
to 'Newer Technology' and I expect I will have to waste many more hours
sorting out drivers and service packs.  <sigh>

Best of luck to you.  I am afeared that I will end up working with products
from the aforementioned Manufacturer eventually, if I can't find real work.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor