Re: dia --version

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003, Ben Hetland wrote:

Vitaly Lipatov wrote:

On 19 Mar 2003 18:39, Lars Clausen wrote:
[...]
bash-2.05b$ dia -v
Dia version 0.91, compiled 08:24:08 Mar 17 2003
bash-2.05b$ dia --version
Dia version 0.91, compiled 08:24:08 Mar 17 2003

Dia prints version info in UTF-8 on screen, my locale is not
UTF-8. Is it bug or this message have not to translate?

Hmm... did I miss something here?
If that plain ASCII string (containing nothing but plain 7 bit ASCII
characters) is converted to UTF-8, isn't it still exactly the same plain
ASCII string? Or is the message also localized into different languages?

That plain ASCII string is translated into, say, Devanagari, and
represented in UTF-8.  Outputting that on a terminal that expects some
other encoding of Devanagari would produce gibberish.

Vitaly (or others with different locales), could you try the attached
patch, which uses g_printf for the version output, and see if the output is
properly encoded (given an appropriate translation of that text, I suppose,
which few languages have so far).

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor