Re: [Sodipodi-list] Using Sodipodi for 2-D CAD/CAM.

On Monday, 23 September '02, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

Dia is a Vector graphics diagramming tool, and it more intended for the
the kind of design purposes you mention than the kind of beautiful
artwork you can produce with Sodipodi.

I am surprised that you did not even consider it, did you not hear about
it or is it not appropriate?  Dia
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/

I'd heard of it, but it didn't come to mind when I was drawing up my list.
I've taken a look at it now.  Perhaps you can help me, because I can't
seem to make Dia:
  1) precisely dimension an object.  How do I get a box which is exactly
     2mm by 4mm, for example?

Except by using snap-to-grid, there is no way to do this currently.  We're
looking into adding low-level properties such as size and position into the
properties dialogs.

  2) snap-align objects.  How could I get the top left corner of a box to
     exactly match up with the midpoint of the left-hand side of another
     box?  How can I align the center of a circle to the top-left corner
     of a box?

There's some aligning possible in the Object menu, but not really that kind.

  3) weld objects together (boolean addition) [also intersect and
     subtract]  Once I've put my circle center on the corner of a box,
     I'd like to union the shapes to get one outline around the outside of
     both shapes.

This would be tricky to do.  The drawing process is not at all built with
that in mind.

  4) There seems to be some amount of parametric dimensioning, in that
     lines will follow an anchor point as it is moved, but this capability
     is not as powerful as one would want in a 2D CAD tool.  I'd also like
     to say, "the center of this circle is exactly 5 inches above this
     line" for example.

More generic constraints would allow a number of interesting features, but
it seems outside of Dia's scope for now.

I don't see Dia as good for the high-precision layout needed for CAD/CAM.
It is intended to make diagrams where the structure rather than the
dimensions are the main focus.  Thus, we can allow more sloppiness than a
dedicated CAD/CAM program.

-Lars