Re: Font trouble

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Levi Bard wrote:
On 16 Sep 2002 18:47:06 -0500
Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu> wrote:

The current CVS has some nasty problems with fonts.  In particular,
fonts font interactively may be missing when printing.  This is because
we use Freetype to print (and export to PNG), but X fonts to render.
While the two systems find mostly the same fonts, the names are
different (perry <> perrygothic, comics <> comicscartoon etc).  Thus,
when trying to print with perrygothic, Freetype fails to find it and
picks a placeholder.  Not pretty.

This can all be solved by always using Freetype for rendering.  However,
the Win32 version does its own Window-specific printing, and thus so far
hasn't required Freetype (and would rather not).  I can't test the Win32
version at the moment, can anybody tell me if the displayed and printed
fonts are in sync?

The displayed and printed fonts are not quite in sync on win32, but I'm
not sure whether the resulting printout is enough different from the
display to warrant any kind of major changes.  The differences I had on
UML models for a small c++ project were almost unnoticeable.

Yeah, there will always be some small changes due to hinting at different
scales.  It could be eliminated by rendering in a fixed DPI and then
scaling, but that would make it look uglier on the screen.  I'm considering
a user option to switch between the two.

Could you tell me what names those fonts I mentioned have under Windows,
and if possible, what names they have when using GDK_USE_XFT?  The names
should be visible in the font selector.

-Lars