Re: noise: Freetype and Windows

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Alan G. Isaac wrote:
This is probably just noise, so forgive me.
But I was puzzled by the claim that FreeType
cannot be used under Win32 and the claim
"Apart from a standard ANSI C library, FreeType 2 doesn't
have any external dependencies and can be compiled and
installed on its own on any kind of system."
 http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/index.html#requirements

Well, our main Win32 guy, Hans Breuer, said this the last time I suggested
using all FreeType:

-----
It is currently broken (just once more: please read 'Heads up on Pango Head')
cause it uses fontconfig which appears to work on X but IMHO needs a
complete rewrite to fit into the win32 platform. Remember on win32
there already is a built-in font configuration which does not require
an *nix like config files but provides device independent font matching
(same code can be used to render to display or printer or to wmf).
This exactly is what the win32 specific Dia print code does.
-----

The "Heads up on Pango Head" mentioned is a thread on gtk-i18n-list and
gtk-devel-list.  It's not FreeType itself (sorry if I made it look that
way), but the Pango interface to FreeType.

-Lars