Re: Ctrl-A?

On 22 Nov 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:

Date: 22 Nov 2002 14:03:14 -0600
From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Ctrl-A?

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

There are a few more keybindings i really should fix and add replacements
for the one i have removed.  I have actually changed my mind about using
Ctrl+Shift+G instead of Ctrl+U for ungroup, and i will have to revert it.
If at some point in the future we have run out of keybindings i will
consider again using Ctrl+Shift+G which is more in line with the Gnome
HIG.

Well, we have Shift-Ctrl-Z as redo, i.e. the reverse of undo.  Why
shouldn't Shift-Ctrl-G be ungroup, the reverse of group?  Especially if
that fits better with the HIG.

other programs use Ctrl+U, and Dia has been using Ctrl+U leaving as it was
would be more consistant.  Three keys is more awkward
There is nothing in particular that springs to mind that we could use
Ctrl+U for at the moment, it aint broke dont fix it.

I dont know how best to say this and not sound rude but _guide_ lines, not
rules.

I guess i should discuss it with some of the usability people and see what
they think, although i bet some will fall on either side of the arguement
but i am sure they will be able to help me decide one way or another.

This all makes me think about any future 'better text widget' and ideally
in any future text widget i would like to be able to use all the
keybindings i have come to expect for word processing without needing to
steal them from teh rest of Dia.
Preferably this future text widget would
be native to dia rather than just an embedded Abiword object but i dunno
really.

I am finding it really hard to get down and actualy code, sorry i did not
properly finish my tinkering with the keybindings.

Later
Alan