Re: Dia & Schemas/DTDs

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Durk Strooisma wrote:
Hi,

We noticed that Dia doens't make use of DTDs or XML Schemas (for example
to validate Dia XML documents). Even correct DTDs or XML Schemas aren't
provided, which would be handy to validate Dia XML documents within XML
authoring tools.

Probably there's a good reason doing it the way the Dia-people do right
now.  Performance? Complexity?

For us it would be very pleasent if Dia uses DTDs or Schemas for
extending the program's functionality. Of course extending a DTD or
Schema needs to be supported in the program itself too. But when
implemented, functionality can be extending without modifying source
code.  Example: it would be very nice to be able to add more attributes
to shapes.  The existing shape attributes (like "name" and "textbox")
don't offer the ability to create shapes for network diagrams like
"computer" with attributes like IP and MAC-address.

Maybe that's a good idea to consider...

I don't know enough about DTDs and XML Schemas to judge whether this is a
useful thing.  We do have DTDs, but they're not used by Dia.

--Lars