Re: [long] lots of problems, you did ask ... [was Re: RC1 stats]

On Saturday 25 May 2002 09:29 PDT, Alan Horkan wrote:

The installer generates a batch file that sets the %HOME%
variable every time and then calls dia.  I think it would be
much simpler to just add the following line to the
autoexec.bat file:
SET HOME=%windir%    REM Dia expects a Home variable.

I don't agree. I have never liked programs that modify
critical files such as AUTOEXEC.BAT. What will happen if
the AUTOEXEC.BAT file is complex? What will happen if
another program redefines HOME?

I like wrapper scripts. Err, well done wrapper scripts.
They provide meaningful defaults, they allow you to
understand what setup is needed before running a program.
They provide a central place to tweak things.

I think the dia wrapper should test for the existence of
the HOME variable, and set it if it doesn't exist. Perhaps
it already does that? Anyway, this would allow _you_ to
set HOME in your AUTOEXEC.BAT if you want.

I think we should use the windir rather than the program
directory because many programs put it there or in
"%windir%/appication data".

So, you're asking the dia developers to forcibly define
HOME=%windir%? You are aware, I hope, that some people
perhaps have defined it to something else, and would be
completely pissed off to see a program overwrite their
settings. Fyi, my HOME is C:\Home.

I would suggest that the default zoom level should be what is
currently 200%.

I agree. I find myself always zooming before doing any
work in dia.

It would be great if dia could be set to
(centi)meters rather than inches based on my locale (but im
geussing this is another win32 flaw).

Dia is set to (centi)meters on this Linux box. Why is that
different under Windows?

--
adrienbeau yahoo com