Re: Freetype problems under RH7.3

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Robert Young wrote:
The current FreeType code relies on X providing a font path list, and on
this list containing paths to TrueType and other fonts. Under RH7.3 the
XFree86 supplied has the font paths specified correctly. It doesn't
however, load the modules which enable XFree86 to interpret these fonts
and hence XFree86 discards the paths to these fonts from the font path.
Hence dia complains about not having any fonts, and the usual suspect,
the font path, is not to blame.

But if you tell X to load the modules, won't it work?

I note that other programs which use freetype have a list of hard coded,
or user supplied, font paths. Should we look at this, or do a hack by
looking for an xfs configuration file (/etc/X11/fs/config) and using the
chkfontpath (a RH utility) code to extract font paths?

If it exists, we can use it.  In fact, we can include hard-coded common
font paths as well.  The more the merrier.

I am concious that most RH7.x users will have the same troubles I have
experienced when we make a release.

I'm willing to cut some code if required.

That would be nice.  Using XGetFontPath was the quick and easy way.

-Lars