Re: Introduction

Cyrille,

For this project to fly, I will need to statically
link all the applications together.

Otherwise there will be to great of a risk to the gcc
being comprimised and I wont get any support from the
gnu group.

For the Dia interface, xml is ok, but we need to
support some interactivity.

A callback interface  back into emacs is what I am
thinking about.

Hmmm. Assuming you can retrieve the class
information from gcc (have you
done it ?
Yes, i have. I am using xml and perl.
This will be replaced by c.

I've done some stuff in that area, you may
want to have a quick
look at the tarball at
http://www.chepelov.org/cyrille/cplusplus),
Thats great. I will be looking into it shortly.

all you
have next is to build an XML file conforming to the
dia DTD. You'll probably
need to zless a couple dia files to figure out the
exact format used by
dia's UML stuff.
Sure, that is then next step.

One problem you'll have is figuring out the size of
the "UML class" objects
so that you can get VCG to lay out things.
Yes that will be an issue, Maybe I can treat the class
as a subgraph and then all the members will be inside
it.

Problem,
to do that you'll need
to either load the not-yet-laid-out dia file into
dia (requires X) so that
dia computes the bounding boxes, or retrieve the
font information and
compute the bounding boxes yourself (very likely to
require X as well). Or,
you could make some assumptions on the fonts used
and the statistical text
sizes, and make educated guesses on the bounding
boxes.
So I will have to use Dia as a lib to help do the
layout calculations.

Assuming you can make something out of the GCC parse
tree information, and
you know how to talk to VCG to extract out of it the
information you want,
building the dia file should be a piece of cake !

Yes, I have a huge database of sql that I have
converted the core gcc into xml and then sql.
I have written simple vcg and graphviz exports.

All in all, this looks like a very fun project, and
it would certainly help
giving life to a wonderful tool (have it cooperate
with doxygen to make
nicer collab graphs, and you'd make my day big time
I was wondering how hard it would be to replace the
parser of doxygen with gcc.
I have not looked into it (yet)

MIke

=====