Re: Simple line connections

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Arne Christian Hårseth wrote:
Lars wrote:
On Sun, 5 May 2002, Arne Christian Hårseth wrote:
Why is there no connection point at the end of a simple line?

This wasn't answered?

It's a good question.  I've wanted it a couple times.  I'm not sure what
would happen if you connect two lines with connectionpoints at the end to
each other (which is the only reason to have that connectionpoint) -- we
might see infinite loops and stuff.

I am afraid I don't follow you.  Anyway I don't understand why there
should be a difference in the connection handling depending on wether the
line is horizontal or vertical?

Are you referring to the zigzag-line that prefers to have its arrows
vertical?  Otherwise I don't see any difference.

If you have turned on "snap to grid" and draw a line from a an objects
connection point which happens to be outside the grid then you can not
make the line horizontal (or vertical) without turning off "snap to
grid" or change the grid resolution. I find this to be to much
work. Could it be an idea to allow the line (or an object) to snap to
the extention of the connection point?

Yes, there are some things that could be done, like Set Horizontal/Set
Vertical.

I think automatically using a hidden snapline from a connection point as
I suggested would be easier.

I see what you mean.  That might be a good idea.  Better than extra menu
points.  But how often do you want to have a horizontal line without it
connecting to something?  Now if there was the possibility of making a
connection anywhere on an element, that would be useful, but as it is now,
it would be of limited use.

-Lars