Re: Review of Keybindings [Re: Dia's user interface]

On 30 Apr 2002 22:27:16 -0500 "Lars Clausen" <lrclause cs uiuc edu> wrote:

 http://www.SchemaMania.org/dia/noodle/

As you can see, I was able to reduce the size of the dialog by 3x

I really like the look of that.  The prefs dialog at the moment is an
eyesore (though very easy to extend), and it's difficult to tell what
only goes for new diagrams.  Could you take a look at the current
preferences.c and see how much work it would be to use your layout?
Also, how much work will it be to keep it up-to-date when more stuff is
added (apparently, Glade assumes Gnome and there is some work involved
in making the code non-Gnome)?

Lars,

I had a look at the code.  They're different paradigms, but I think it'll
be not too bad.  That's the height of hubris, you understand, because I've
never used Glade and never written a GTK app.  (I did read Havoc's book,
though.)

Basically, the problem is one of mapping Dia's internal preferences
structure onto the Glade-generated widget code.  prefs_create_dialog
becomes very different, because the widgets already exist.  With
cleverness, I'll be able to load their addresses into the DiaPrefsData
structures, and prefs_get_value_from_widget won't change at all.

I don't think the labels should be right-justified.  Makes them look
ragged.

Agreed.

1. The Grid size is square; you can't set X and Y to different scales.

1) I don't like.

Well, between you and Rob, I bow to your greater experience.  If people
already use anything other than a 1:1 grid aspect, it must be of some use.
 They do, right?

What happened to "Recent documents list size" and "Use menu bar", or did
you work off an earlier version than that?  I guess you did, since the
whole "Diagram Tree" tab isn't there.

I haven't been tracking Dia snapshots; I'm have 0.88.1 on NetBSD.  Don't
worry; I'll modernize! ;)  I'm hoping to build the next release of Dia on
my favorite OS, but I have Debian around here somewhere on one of the
dual-boot boxes if need be.

The point of the Glade exercise was to demonstrate what I thought a decent
dialog would look like.  Many dialogs in most software are too fussy: they
take eight clicks and two guesses to find what you want.  Tabs and their
vertical brethren a la Netscape can be a blessing or a curse, everything
depends on organization and layout.  Then I decided to volunteer.  You
never know, eh?

For that I'd say the window manager
should take care of the size, and the dialog could show at startup if it
was shown when Dia was shut down (like Gimp does with several dialogs).
Don't know about the hidden objects -- it's not obvious what that does.

I'm sorry, Lars, I don't follow you.  I don't know what size the wm should
take care of for "that", or which dialog you mean.

Regards,
  --jkl