Re: Review of Keybindings [Re: Dia's user interface]

I looked at Dia's preferences with new eyes.  Using Glade, I mocked up a
new preferences dialog

 http://www.SchemaMania.org/dia/noodle/dia_preferences.glade.

As you can see, I was able to reduce the size of the dialog by 3x (mostly
by using standard checkboxes and a tighter layout).  By putting
everything on one page, it's easier to see what's what, IMHO.  What do
you think?  (BTW, it's my first time using Glade.  Darned if I can get
right-justified labels to work: I want Width, Height, and Zoom to be
right justified, but Glade just refuses to display them that way.)

I really like the look of that.  The prefs dialog at the moment is an
eyesore (though very easy to extend), and it's difficult to tell what only
goes for new diagrams.  Could you take a look at the current preferences.c
and see how much work it would be to use your layout?  Also, how much work
will it be to keep it up-to-date when more stuff is added (apparently,
Glade assumes Gnome and there is some work involved in making the code
non-Gnome)?

I would still really appreciate if someone could make a screenshot
available.

My primary concern is the size of this new dialog, and will it work on
smaller 400x600 displays.  (the Gimp installer/first use setup screen does
not fit or even resize for smaller monitors, and various dialogs in other
Gnome/Gtk programs are too big just big enough to fit but only if you are
do nothave any desktop taskbars/menubars)

Sincerely
Alan Horkan