Grid Size (RE: Review of Keybindings [Re: Dia's user interface])

1. The Grid size is square; you can't set X and Y to
different scales.  I
understand why you'd want to in a graph, but I think it's more a
hinderance in Dia.
3) is explained already, 2) I agree with -- Gimp needs it, as its undo
parts are big, but not us, 1) I don't like.

There are times when you would want a different grid to snap to.  It's
easier to draw 3D objects that look good with a snap other than (1,1); the
perspective using (1,1) looks funny.  For now, this may only be practical
for creating 3D boxes in your flow chart and the like.  But as Dia becomes
more capable, people will want to push its limits.  For example, an engineer
may want to include a simplified picture of a machine to go along with a
circuit schematic.  I think some of Dia's potential users, coming from other
packages, will expect this feature.

While playing around with this, I noticed that File/Preferences doesn't
impose an upper limit on the grid size.  View/Diagram Properties limits it
to 10.  If you set a value greater than 10 in File/Preferences, it takes
effect, but View/Diagram Properties still shows a maximum of 10.  I don't
think there should be an arbitrary upper limit.  This will be especially
important if Dia gets user definable units.

Rob Campbell
rob campbell att net