RE: Freetype Font Path

Lars Clausen wrote
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Robert Young wrote:
G'Day,

The recent --enable-freetype CVS build has been segfaulting
on me and I
have traced it down to two distinct problems:

<snip>

Secondly, XGetFontPath returns the string "unix:/7100" in
font_init_freetype() which is the XFS 'path'. It appears
that the current
code is unable to find any fonts on this path and as a
result there are
NULL pointers all over the place which eventually get
referenced when
font_getfont_with_style gets called. I looked at a couple of other
programs which used Freetype and couldn't find a consistent
method for
determining the path to the fonts (some seem to hard code
it as a last
resort).

Unopenable font paths are not a problem, they are simply skipped.  The
problem appears if there are no local fonts.  Are you getting all your
fonts from a server?

It appears that all fonts are obtained from the font server (which is the
same machine). The only path returned from XGetFontPath is "unix:/7100".
Locally there are heaps of fonts installed and the X font server is aware of
all of them - does X need to know about them as well (using xset +fp=<path>
for instance)??

I note that man XGetFontPath says that clients shouldn't
use this - but
doesn't give any helpful suggestions :-(

Is this XFree86 4.* or 3.*?

4.*

/usr/sbin/chkfontpath returns a list of the installed font
paths - and
doesn't mention unix:/7100.

Don't know where that one comes from, so I can't compare.

Looks like a RedHat specific command from looking at the man page - not much
use.

I looked a tiny bit at Pango but couldn't find how it obtains it's font
paths as this would be good to copy. Some programs are already using Pango,
but it may be too bleeding edge.

Any other ideas? If I get time I'll look into the message_error problem
further.

Thanks.

Rob.