From: dia-list-admin gnome org [mailto:dia-list-admin gnome org]On
Behalf Of Tim Ellis
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 12:37 PM
To: dia-list gnome org
Cc: jklowden speakeasy org
Subject: OT!!! -- Window Managers

I think that one of the problems that I have with dia
is the missing
concept of an application. Call me a windows user, but
I dont like
fighting with all these windows. I just want them to go
away and get
out of my way when i minimize the window!!!

AIUI, an X client tells the WM what windows belong in a
"Window Group".
It's up to the WM what it does with that information.  A
good WM would
iconify them as a set.

I just tested it in Sawfish.

I went to the GNOME Control Panel, chose Window Manager's
"Minimising and
Maximising" behaviour, chose "When minimising window, also minimise:
GROUP". Then I minimised Dia and all Dia windows minimised at the same
time.

So at least Sawfish implements this behaviour.

(Sawfish is the default GNOME WM, btw)

--
Tim Ellis
DBA, Gamet