Re: XFig vs. dia 5:1

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, ml knorke in-berlin de wrote:
Hi,

thanks for your explanations.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:08:09AM -0500, Lars Clausen wrote:
No, Dia does not have hatches.  We're more geared towards structured
diagrams than vector art.  It is a good suggestion, though.

I see hatches mostly essential for technical diagrams, not
as a part of vector art.  Ideally, the hatches should be
very flexible (colour, line style, angle, distance between
lines, ...).

Making any hatching would be a start, but I could see a fairly flexible
system with some kind of 'hatch picker' like the color picker.

0.88.1 was quite unstable.  0.90 is much better.

Yes, dia becomes definitely more and more stable.
Unfortunately, I had data losses on dia crashes.  How about
an "auto-save" feature like in Emacs?

I was thinking of that at some point, but didn't get around to it.  Tied in
with the undo stack and an idle timer it should be fairly easy.

functions are already there (but I did find them), or maybe
one could port good ol' XFig to GTK+? :-)

That's been done:
<URL:http://k332.feld.cvut.cz/~lemming/projects/gtkfig.html>

This project seems to be not very active (last version 0.7.x
of 1999) and more a rewrite than a port.

Well, I haven't tried it.

Anyway, I didn't mean this too serious, and of course, the "XFig vs. dia"
wasn't meant as a fight, more as a productive competition.

It is certainly a good idea to get inspiration from each other.  I used to
use XFig, but I found the interface too cumbersome, so I switched to Dia.

-Lars